Monday, July 20, 2009

The autopsy of a speech

So I gave a speech last wednesday. This was my project two of the Toastmasters club.As I had procrastinated for nearly five months since my lst project, I had hoped to write a good speech. And I did before the speech think I had managed a pretty decent speech.

The text of the speech is two posts down.

Anyway then my 5 month duration speech was challenged by a guy who had at night written a speech.

I am not a bad orator. I know my strengths. In tostmasters meet , I m regularly the best speaker in the on the spot sessions and was also the best speaker when I gave my speech last time.

When I finished, I listened to the ovation and I thought I had done a pretty good job. Then in the table-topics I was good as usual. And then I could hear the silence within me when the results came in. I lost in both sections. This was something totally unexpected. Of all the meeting I have attended since Jan,this was the first time I had won nothing.

Let me confess,I am a sore loser. If I play a game to win, I hate it when its otherwise. Thats why I dont enjoy ludo. Its too much of luck.

So I tried to be magnaminous in defeat, congratulating the winner but inside there was all turmoil.

There are reasons to bitch about. The winner is choosen by an audience vote and because there was no way to write the names of people I think I lost a few votes in confusion.

But why did I loose in the prepared speech contest? The speech was good, but I didn't make the audience laugh. That ws my fault. The speech was just too serious. However the oppositions speech was also not that great. It was just one long story and some speech.

So I shall come back with a vegenance. I am planning to give project 3 in the next speech to reclaim my honour.

Shall keep you posted.

3 comments:

pi said...

the fact that you can actually get up on stage and talk about things is brave already. it doesn't matter who comes first/second etc.

Ashraf's Pen said...

Ha. It does.

As I said ealier I am a sore loser. ;)

Anyway beyond the losing part its necessary to get thimgs into perspective.

No one is perspective. Neither are my oratorial skills . They can improve ;)

Ashraf's Pen said...

Ha. It does.

As I said ealier I am a sore loser. ;)

Anyway beyond the losing part its necessary to get thimgs into perspective.

No one is perspective. Neither are my oratorial skills . They can improve ;)