Saturday, May 24, 2008

What Dreams May Come!!!

As a kid I was plagued by nightmares. They would haunt my nights an there were times when I was even afraid to go to sleep. Now this is a long long time back . I was around six seven years old then. Of course a reason could be the fact that I lived in the mountainous regions and at night it used to be dark as hell. During winters lions and tigers would come down from the higher altitudes and there would be frequent wild encounters. Enough to scare a seven yeaqr old.

So my dreams used to revolve around being chased by ghosts and getting lost in the jungles or getting separated from my family at a railway station(Coz I was hopelessly addicted to getting off at stations to run to the magazine n book vendors and a train we frequentely travelled with used to be divide into two trains heading to diff directions at a station. U could get into the wrong coach n end up elsewhere).


Anyway once we left Joshimath and I added some more years, the nightmares decreased and my fears lessened. Nightmares were not an issue anymore.

But I still had dreams and a few nightmares on and off. However I beleive in will and when I was in class tenth I desired to control my dreams and end them. Now this is a big secret that I am letting you onto but the fact is we can control our dreams.

I read about an experiment where flashing of red light on patients during REM(rapid eye movement ) phase i.e. when they are dreaming instantly ended dreams.

I relied on pure logic. Before sleeping everyday I used to tell myself a dozen times I am going to sleep. Also I came to the conclusion nothing illogical could happen. SO now when I
used to dream I started trying toi ask myself how did I end up there. The moment I used to reach the blank part I used to realize it was a dream. ANd voila immediately that dream used to stop. It was not necessary that I would wake up, sometimes one dream would be replaced by another ,often very pleasant. Also like if I was being chased I used to suddenly say "what the hell" and stop running. This one dream when I did so I still remember the abrupt end of that nightmare and the change to another dream. It seemed everything around me dissolved and a new landscape formed on a blank canvas.

However with time my nightmares became less frequent but so did my dreams.
And then a time came when there were none at all. For months I did not have a dream or at least one that I could recollect. The sleep was good. I used to wake up refreshed.

But there is something about dreams ,they have this magical quality that real life can never replicate.

And after many years I started missing them. So I stopped reminding myself that I am sleeping and also searching for arbitrariness during sleep.

And the dreams returned. Slowly but surely. And now again my nights are filled with dreams.

I have debated about it but I am sill unwilling to start controlling them again.

Anyway what I also want to speak about is this dream I had so50-60 days back. There is this gal, I was senti on big time but it ended at that only. I gave this crush a quite burial and moved on.

Of course she also did something that I felt humiliated me and though she apologized, some things are jhust too bgrave to be forgotten by an apology.

So I buried her, as a matter of saying of course.

Or so I thought.

Anyway I slept in the afternoon one day and I had this dream that where she was there.

We just walked around hand in hand and even in the dream a warm feeling enveloped me.
Then I woke up.

However I felt good for days afterwards, cheerful like a bird. What i had thought was dead had risen from the grave. This despite the fact that I am reconciled to the fact that nothing is possible on any front. The power of a dream

So here's my musing "what is it about dreams that we can't live with them and neither without them"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe your dream is a sign to what you want in life. one makes their own future and etches out their own path.

Ashraf's Pen said...

lolz it does make sense with some dreams.

Yearnings , unfulfilled ambitions maybe but being chased by ghosts(long gone) or vampires thats surely not what I want to do in life?