Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Trip to Haji Ali


{The pics are not mine. They are sourced from wikipedia}

Some months back I ended up at Haji Ali , a dargah in Mubai when I went there for a b-school interview.

Haji Ali is a dargah about 500 meters off shore. I had hoped to visit it and I was lucky that my interview venue was just off Haji Ali street. However I did not know this and after my interview was over I tried in vain to get a taxi to take me to the venue. Only after a helpful taximan gave me directions did I realize that the dargah was only walking distance.

Anyway I start walking and only when I reach the end of the street do I see the Arabian Sea and the Haji Ali Dargah glistening in the sun. It was a rather hot day and I had wore a blazer to the b-school interview which of course I had in my arms but I was still sweating from all the walking.

As soon as I got onto the pathway leading to the Dargah I could feel the atmosphere change. It became pleasantly cool. I then walked to the dargah , entered , took off my shoes, paid my obeisances at the dargah and basically stood around savouring the environment. There was something spiritual about the place. Since it was near a time, I also did vazu and offered prayers.

However the dargah held in esteem by millions is in a dillpated state. That is simply unacceptable. Reading up on the web I realized that the management of trustees are suspected of embezzling money that comes in daily. Also there are some permissions which need to be sought.

Its sad though how the protectees become the exploiters. Great power involves great responsibility. It would be nice if people were to believe in it too.

I think its sad how trustees misuse funds meant for charity. There must be more accountability and stricter punishments.

Anyway hoping renovation on the Dargah is done soon.

Ameen

No comments: