Saturday, February 23, 2008

R.I.P. MBA aspirations 07-08

Khatam hui dastaan-e-mohabbat ,mil gaya dil ko qaraar,
Kal jo padi uspe padi uspe nazar, laut aayi vohi bechaini hai.

Well my M.B.A. aspirations or the attempts at getting to an MBA school have ended for now. That's the bad news.

The good news is now I am going to take up one of the offers I have. Hurray ab to paise kamaaye jaayegein. I have still not decided which company to take but I still have the time.

Anyway my MBA journey began in January last year when I made that MBA decision. So to prepare for the CAT(Common Admission Test) , I took up coaching at IMS institute. I had weekend classes, six hours a week. I am not sure how much I studied but those were the days.

There was a very simple reason why? In my batch out of 30 people nearly 14 were from my college. With a ban on bikes in my college we used to go by buses to the place nearly 14 km away.

On Saturdays we had evening seven to nine batch which used to stretch till nine-thirty. It normally used to take one hour each way of travelling time. On the way back public transport used to become scarce and as a group of three or five we used to have dinner together.

Fun times.

Anyway I think I never really took MBA very seriously and it showed in the results.

The complacency factor set in and when I look back I cant see a lot of hard work being put in the field. Luck is a nice thing but luck is just that-'luck'.

Anyway beyond it in the end I started to doubt if I could make it . And that was the beginning of the end.

In the end my overall CAT percentile was 97.96. Considering nearly 250,000 people appear for the CAT it was not abad score. But not good enough for me. I did though get a 99.91 in english, which is great.

With my CAT score I could get a lot of good colleges but not the creme da creme.

The second test I gave was entrance to F.M.S.

Out of nearly 60,000 people who appear for the test only 60 get the final calls. I guess the luck ran out. Yesterday the results for F.M.S. came and I could feel the end of a year of miserly efforts. But it was still an end.

Anyway I do have a call from I.M.T. Ghaziabad which is at times rated among the top ten colleges of India which I should convert. But I want better so I shall let it go.

Another year , another place, another test. My times shall come.

IIM's main aaa raha hoon.

4 comments:

Wolfestine said...

Hey...

I joined IMS too... weekends... sat 4:30 to 6:30; sun 9:00-1:00.

I am still not serious abt it but i thought i might as well join the rat race. :D

Ciao

heenad said...

i truly believe before doing your MBA, one should work a little. It really does make a difference. so after IIT its IIM which is gaining popularity. truly hope u get into IIM. its impt to go to a good business school, makes life so much easier.

Ashraf's Pen said...

@wolfestein Have fun at IMS. Its a great place.
Sandeep sir is a great teacher.

And the fact remains CAT is all
about aptitude.ENjoy.

And seriously CAT or rather MBA is a good decision provided you beleive an MBA will lead you where you want to be.

@life of pi Ideally one should have work-ex b4 MBA but in India about 40% of all students in good b schools except ISB Hyderabad are freshers.
So I could have made it.
And yes I will not go to a B school even a bit lower than the best.
I have a simple reason why. My exp shows it does not matter how much marks one did his engg with but from where he did it. I will not say that I am an engineer with first class but rather that I am engg. from AIT. However we will all need a masters and then the bachelors wont matter much.

The master has to be a great college. Coz there is unlikly to be a Phd after an MBA.

Anonymous said...

i agree nobody really cares what you got after you made it into a good school. i mean, other than your parents. saying you are from harvard/MIT etc goes a long way.

i forgot to congratulate you though on a job well done, your scores are really very good and you should be proud of yourself. also id like to add grades dont really make or break you in terms of how successful you are, it really is passion that does make or break you and luck. being in the right place at the right time.