Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Scrapped Literally

This is another of the articles I wrote for Srijna.

SCRAPPED LITERALLY
There was a time when a scrap automatically brought visions of waste. But then occurred a revolution and they called it 'Orkut'. After that a 'scrap', it seemed had a whole new meaning for the masses.
Yes I am talking about the website www.orkut.com. There seem to be various descriptions for it include a networking site, a community website, a social site, etc. But we are not going to clinically analyze 'Orkut', because we are simply not here for this.
My first introduction to Orkut were the unsure steps I took when a good friend of mine, Arjun sent me an invitaion and literally forced me to register. Of course back then Orkut was totally unknown and I was confident that I would never go back to check on the site again.
Time it seems has proved me wrong.
First came Internet in the hostels, then came 'Orkut mania'. The first signs were long hours on Orkut waiting in desperation for new scraps. As one of the first victims, I remember checking for scraps every hour and getting gloomy if I did not find new ones.
Of course suddenly the number of scraps became linked to popularity on Orkut and it seemed no number was big enough and no means mean enough. One afternoon, I remember this conversation between two seniors using scraps.
Gujral- “Oye Akshat, tu to id ka chaand ho gaya hai!Dikhta hi nahi”
Akshat- “Hi Gujral! Kya karun kaafi busy chal raha hoon.Tum batao.”
.
.
some 20 smaller scraps...
.
.
Gujral- “Oye tum kahan baithe ho?Main Minocha ke comp pe baitha hoon.”
Akshat- “Yaar main Ashraf ke comp pe baitha hoon.”

Of course they conveniently forgot to mention Ashraf and Minocha were room-mates. The two were basically sitting back to back using Orkut to convey their thoughts, the increase in number of scraps as a by-product. I heard that one afternoon Akshat sirs rating jumped by 20 percent.
Beyond the addiction there are many benefits of Orkut. Somehow, I personally have never seen any. For example out of my class of 60, 56 are registered members of AIT COMP 08 Community. What is discussed there?Nothing close to academics. However it is not to imply that Orkut is harmful and should be banned as many say. Because, however long I have known Orkut it has been fun. And claps requires two hands we can just refuse to give ours.
I am now beyond Orkut having left the temptation behind. But you like this article please ,please let me know by scrapping me. My Orkut ratings are still at 80 percent. The scraps may just help.

2 comments:

heenad said...

LOL. when i was in undergrad this was the norm, we would be chatting to each other when we were all in the same lab. and logically speaking you should have your family, relatives, long distance friends on MSN but instead i had all my friends who i saw each and every day! and now that we've all gone our way no one comes online. =) but i havent succumbed (yet) to orkut. heard too many horror stories.

Ashraf's Pen said...

Yes..

Same thing here too.

But the funnier part is the two guys were not chatting but were chatting to increase scraps. And it was no lab. It was my room and they were like 2m from each other.

As for Orkut spammers are killing it. The only reason I am still there is that too many friends of mine are there.

I am on face-book now.Its much better. Esp on the security ,privac sense.