Sunday, November 15, 2009

Am I confused?

Oh yes I am.

I was reading this guys article recently who could not decide whether to pursue a MBA or stay on with his company who were sending him to US. He said ,"I am a very confused person".

I read it , thought for a while and realized if he is in the kingdom of the confused, I am the realm's emperor.

So as a record for posterity, I will list down the choices that I have faced:-

a) Let me put it simply. If I could, I would have split into nine and followed nine different professions. And this is at the minimum.

b) I actually wanted to be a lawyer but told myself there are already too many lawyers out there.

c) One of the most gut-wrenching decisions has been the army. Being an army brat, I gave it serious thought but later decided I could not live out my life preparing for a war that never happens. Also to explain the disconnect I have reached the conclusion that there is a greater possibility of me contributing positively to the community in other roles.

d) I wanted to my BA honours in English and go into journalism. firstly my parents thought pretty low of journalist. Secondly, when I met the ex-head of Allahabad University's English department(he incidentally had taught my mother), he told me that the English curriculum is not challenging and a bright student like me will find it dry. Yes, there was a time when I was considered bright.

e) I wanted to be a doctor and this was also a pretty serious fling. It was only once I had sat for the medical entrance exams and qualified for dental that I suddenly realized, medicine as a career was a full time commitment and I really could not wait till 30 to be financially independent. (5.5 years MBBS, 3 years MD, 2 years D.Ch. Add a few years here and there and you have life starting at 31-32. Not moi.)

f) I had looked at the physics in class 11th and immediately swapped hindi for maths. So engineering was my option. I thought I could be more creative in engineering(Ah ,the days of innocence). I gave IIT a good attempt and joined computers engineering at AIT(when NIT Warrangal plans got torpedoed by the dammed naxals. Its another story),coz everyone convinced me I had an obession about computers.

g) I had also wanted to be a gelologist,a marine archaelogist, a marine engineer(gave it up when a relative in the merchant navy,told me put it after the last last option.) and also a historian. None were to be.

Now these were options that I have pretty much closed. Lets come to the options that unfortunately are not.

h) I wanted to do my PhD in computers. Now I am thinking about management. However a doctorate will push me into teaching and academic roles. I am not sure if I want that

i) I want to do my MBA and this is what I hope to soon pursue. However even here I am unsure if I want a long term plan or a short term plan. I like the short term idea. Work for six years and explore other options

j) I think somewhere in the future I want to set up my NGO to help others. However I am surprised how easily money can fill up the need of job-satisfaction.

k) I am still thinking of an IAS attempt as a viable career move. However I am unsure whether I want to commit.

l) I am also writing a book which is stuck at 15% mark. I also desire to be a motivational speaker and tour the world.

So dont talk to me aout how confused you are. I am way ahead of everybody.

And I think I missed out a few options

4 comments:

Ranjeet Pratap Singh said...

I can very well connect with you.

I've even tried for NDA, passed written quite a few times BUT was thrown out of the SSB every single time I reached there.

Have tried hands at hindi poetry(have read poems in a few events + been published quite a few times), tried hands in writing.

Cricket (almost every Indian does )

Cricket Commentator.

and others have suggested me to join the profession of a : " Journalist ", "Lawyer", "Politician", "Teacher" and a few others depending on some of my
qualities (or lack of them) which they saw in me.

And here I am going to be an engineer and writing CAT to be an engineer.

heenad said...

lol this is a post i could have written myself! The positive spin about being confused, in my humble opinion, is that you create for yourself so many options there is no possibility to get bored.

good luck im sure you'll end up doing many of the above and more.

Ashraf's Pen said...

@Rohit:- I had army within reach but I seriously doubted if it could satisfy me. Coming from an army background further ensured I was not starry eyed for the uniform. So I decided to let it go.

Sometimes though I still wonder. ;)

Oh and welcome to the path of engineer turned MBA. I am also walking it presently.

And thanks for dropping by

Ashraf's Pen said...

@Heena- I would loveto read your version. After-all you want to retire somewhere else. I think its the wise and the conscious who are confused. Because they can evaluate the long term consequences of their choices. And yes its great food for thought.

Thanks for the wishes. Ameen