Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Change is the theme

Anyway this is a thought that came to me the other day. I was back in my home-town after a long time. Now about six months back my dad had shifted to his personal residence from the government accommodation. We had retained that accommodation for nearly 15 years. By army standards this by itself is a record.Mostly officers are posted from one location to another location every two to three years. The families also move mostly. However its one funny tale how we managed to stay in the same location for so long. Dad of course kept getting posted -east,west ,north and south.

But that, alas is not the tale. I am meandering to another side of the story.

Anyway while I did not spend much time there during my engineering I sure did spent a solid 11 years there. So when we actually came near to talking about shifting to another place, I always used to think it would be very hard. I had so many memories about the place. I thought I would forever remember it. So on and so forth.

Anyway so now that I am home ,I passed by the street where our old house was. As I was driving down the street, I instinctively slowed down and peered over the wall. I saw the garden where I had spent so much time playing cricket. I thought a lump was forming in my throat. I was getting emotional.

And then it occurred to me!! I was feeling nothing.There was no nostalgia, no longing , no regrets.

I had moved on.

The same thing happened with Pune. While I loved the city and miss it quite regularly, the fact is I actually miss the friends and the malls etc. And I don't really have all that trouble living elsewhere.

And so here is the message-"I think we all underestimate our ability to handle change". We think we cannot handle it but the truth is we are made of firmer stuff.

Perhaps we are built to dislike change. But we surely are made to handle it.

No comments: