Sunday, February 5, 2006

POETRY ARCHIVES

TWO QUARTERS OF A YEAR

Two quarters of a year have passed,
Since you made your exit from the scene,
And even now you are nowhere backstage,
For you have vanished ,
Almost like you were never here,
But I am still searching for you,
For I know you were here,
Two quarters of a year in the past.


It was a warm February day,
Birds were chirping, the sun was out,
And I had realized my luck was out,
For you were free to never return,
And as for me, you still haven’t.


I watched you cross the desolate ground,
With dainty steps raising little dust,
And I knew that I never would be able to forget you.
For as you cut through the dusty land,
My heart sank like a ship in the abyss,
And gave me more pain than an open wound.


Two quarters of a year have passed,
And yet a part of me is still on that ground,
Walking up and down, the gloomy land ,
And watching you again and again cross the dusty patch,
For I have never really accepted your loss,
Even though there was little I could have done,
For although I wince to pen,
We were just far too different,
But even then a part of me is still on that ground,
Two quarters of a year in the past.

BY- SYED ASHRAF HUSAIN
First of all this is not a recent poem. It dates back to that tumultous year when I finally discovered I could pen both poetry and prose and even enjoy myself in the process. Creativity is a release and no one knows it better than the writer himself.
This poem is about unfulfilled love and the events that made a poet out of me. This poem is part of a trio with the same theme of seperation titled funnily enough" Three months have passed,Two quarters of a year and three quarters of a year". Each one was written exactly at the end of three, six and nine months since the day it all ended or as i should say it all began. In this poem the piognancy of the moment I hope is captured by the whole allusion of being back there on the ground. This is about the inability to move on. The heart is a river with no outlet and if the pen releases enough water, one day there is calm and peace.
I did make my peace finally.
ENDING- ASHRAF

No comments: