Sunday, December 23, 2007

One tight slap

This incident happened yesterday as I was going from my college hostel to the mosque for Eid-ul-Zuha prayers.

Now my college is situated on a highway and the location itself is quite outside the main city. As I drove out of the gate and had driven like ten metres ahead , I saw a motorcycle parked on the side of the road. A couple were standing next to the bike with the lady's back to me while the guy stood facing her , so consequently I could see his face. ISnce our college is on a major interconnecting road, I assumed they were one of the hundreds of people who trvel over 15-20 km one-way for work.

I was still a little way off when the guy swung his hand and gave the girl a tight slap. Now I can assure it was no playful spank coz with the swing he had I am sure the slap was solidly painful. I can be sure because I know the strength a guy has.

It was early morning and except me I think no one saw the slap. Even the pillion rider on my motor-cycle did not see it.

I was still like 4-5 metres from where the couple were and I slowed my bike to stop and assist. But then I realized a thing. The girl had not moved from her place, there was no sob, no indignation from her, no cries for assistance. She had accepted the slap. And me stopping had no relevance. It was finally a personal matter.

Why do females accept physical abuse? A recent poll in India revealed that more than 50% of women believe that their husbands have a right to beat them up. Is not it said. People like me can cry themselves hoarse over the need for violence-free homes but if women accept violence as a natural thing, nothing will happen.

Anyway though I did not stop , I wish I had stopped and told the guy this-"Be careful. The lady can slap you and by law you cannot punish her. But if the lady had decides to report you for the slap, you are going to jail under the Domestic Violence Act". The only question si did the lady know of the act.

2 comments:

Wolfestine said...

It happens a lot with me too... that you c stuff on the road that hits you a little harder each time you think about it. Situations where you don't react the way that you should have. And writing about it is probably the best remedy. Sad but true

Ashraf's Pen said...

I think its something about human nature. We are so critical of ourselves, spending time in introspection.

Sometimes I wish things were simpler. No grey areas. All black and white